Saturday, July 21, 2018

A tough Birthday for any mother...

 Its official...I no longer have any "children".  My youngest turned 18 today.  The older child is 20.  Where did the time go?  Where did that beard come from?  What happened to the little guy with silky blond curls who followed me around and was a devoted companion for so many years? 
Well, he has moved in with is sister so they can be closer to the University that they will now both be attending in about a month. 
This momma made it through the day, the family party, and seeing the kids off before the tears came.  My husband doesn't understand the tears because he feels proud of the kids and loves to see them developing into delightful and responsible people.  I love all of that as well but it is so hard to not have babies any more.  How can you not lament the loss? 
They use to need me. Now they do stuff on their own. They use to love to be with me.  Now its friends before boring old mom.  I use to be able to kiss their hurts away.  It doesn't work that way anymore.  All I can ask is that the world be kind to them and hope that I have equipped them to be able to grow and handle what gets thrown at them.  And I will have to be happy with the few texts I get through the week and the weekly- I hope- dinners that I will have with them through the college years.  They only live 30 minutes away but I am afraid its going to seem like a huge distance. 

This handsome young man has a promising future ahead of him, a nice academic scholarship, and a promising future in Engineering.  So proud of you!
Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment